Saturday 11 February 2012

Photo Albums = Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future


It was around this time of year back in 2007 when I have the most memories of this album.
I was just starting my second semester of university when Klaxons first album 'Myths Of The Near Future'  came out, just after the student loan had entered my bank, good times!

But the first I'd heard any of the tracks from this album was actually about 4 months before on an NME cover mount cd mixed by Simian Mobile Disco called 'Dancefloor Distortion' (More on this another time). The cd had the Simian Mobile Disco mix of 'Magick' on it, and definitely stood out. That cover mount cd will always crystallise the whole 'new rave' scene for me, a mmovement that Klaxons were seen as spearheading.

My first actual memory of listening to Myths Of The Near future all the way through, was on a cold Wednesday morning in February 2007 as I got on the U1 bus to head into Oxford city centre from my uni campus. I'd kind of heard tracks like 'Atlantis To Interzone' and 'Golden Skans' floating around on the tele and radio, so I already loved them. Other tracks such as 'As Above, So Below' and 'Gravity's Rainbow' stood out instantly as just being different and punchy. But the track that initially blew me away, and on repeat listens just got better and better was 'Two Recievers'. The rumbling build of drums and bass, with the twinkling piano just makes the album as a whole burst into life, and really sets the tone from the start. And to this day, 'Two Recievers' still lifts me up, and puts in me in fucking good mood.

I also remember spending an entire afternoon a few weeks after that bus ride hanging out in my uni halls room, wearing a green hoodie, lying on my bed playing Burnout 3 on the PlayStation 2, and smiling while 'It's Not Over Yet" came spilling out the stereo speakers.

People at the time might have thought of Klaxons as abit ridiculous with a 'flash in the pan' status, and people may even think this today. But the album quite simply came out in the right place at the right time, and definitely sums up that whole sound and scene in my opinion.

But my admiration for it will always be because it encapsulates that moment in my life. I was 19, I was at university, I had money, I had loads of free time and zero cares and responsibilities, and everything ahead looked brightly coloured and all neon like. I suppose it's one of the albums I hold in high regard because it makes me feel young again every time I hear it, which can't be a bad thing.

If you find yourself listening to this album, grab some glow sticks, put on a brightly coloured polo shirt and some shades, turn the volume up full, dance like a dickhead,  and you would have successfully recreated exactly how this album makes me feel time and time again! Great fucking times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment