Sunday 6 April 2014

The Cheltenham Underground's 100th show - Thursday 3/4/14

On Thursday 3rd April 2014, The Cheltenham Underground celebrated their 100th show in The Frog & Fiddle in Cheltenham.  I regularly attend the shows hosted by the Cheltenham based promoters and so popped along to check out their centenary event.

In short, the 100th show lived up to the special and celebratory stature that the title implies. The night was a huge success and one to be proud of.

Ok, before I go any further, I can appreciate the argument that I may be somewhat biased in favour of The Cheltenham Underground and their achievements; having attended many of the shows they've put on over the last 6 years, having also played at some of the shows, having been friends of both Dan Base and John Madden, the event organisers for many years.  But then again, every person at a Cheltenham Underground show is obviously going to feel something different, whether its the 1st show, the 50th, or 100th.  And that's not necessarily anything to do with their affiliation with the event itself. So, therefore, I will write this review from the perspective of the individual. The gig goer. An attendee of the 100th show.

I arrived shortly after 8pm when the doors opened, expecting to have arrived early.  However, there were already around 20 people in the Barn room at The Frog & Fiddle. We all knew each other, in one way or another, mainly through seeing each other at gigs in Cheltenham, most often at Cheltenham Underground events.  We had all arrived for this special night.  The mood was that of a reunion; I hadn't seen some of these people for a while. But everyone was happy.  Everyone was smiling. Friends together again.  I felt like I was already part of an institution, a community born out of shows and nights like this over the years. The atmosphere was soo warming, that I think I would have felt welcome, even if I didn't know anybody. And this was before the first band had taken to the stage.

Sam Green and the Midnight Heist were the first band of the night, kicking off their set with a track full of foot stomping, rhythmic guitar work and harmonised vocals.  If I'm honest, this wasn't my cup of tea and I started to draw apologetic comparisons to the likes of Mumford & Sons. However, the London/ Reading band seemed to change from this to a more raw and powerful blend of blues and rock. This worked really well, with each instrument in the band being used effectively to generate the wall of sound from the band as a whole, especially with the addition of the double bass.

The next band up were Fight The Bear from Shropshire, who seamlessly managed to keep the party going following the explosive start from Sam Green and the Midnight Heist.  They had several people in the crowd bouncing with their rock/indie/ska set.  The band came across as very professional, which really brought an energy to their performance.

The third and final act of the evening were Cheltenham Underground regulars, Captain Accident & The Disasters.  From their opening track, right through to the end of their set, every track was dripping with a feel good reggae/ ska/dub vibe. By this point, the crowd, with beers in hand, were smiling along with the Cardiff based band who complimented the raw energy created by the two previous bands, with such a smooth groove.

I'd been stood towards the back of the room for most of the evening, drinking, chatting with friends, but more importantly, witnessing the effect of the bands on the doting audience throughout the night. It would be wrong to class any of the bands as 'better' than the others.  By this, I mean that there was no clear support acts and no clear headline act, in my opinion.  I felt that all three bands brought something unique and different to the night.  Each band created a different vibe and atmosphere, from their respective genres of music, which carried the audience effortlessly.  In the interests of the night being a special occasion, the bands certainly delivered.

With the bands taking care of the vibe in the room, the crowd followed suit and in turn, made the whole night seem electric.  I can't remember a point where the atmosphere wasn't warm and embracing.  This was certainly ceremonious and special.  With all these elements combined, the 100th show was by no means just another Cheltenham Underground event, it was a pure party!

And this was on a Thursday night!!

As I said before, I know John Madden and Dan Base well and I know the amount of energy and time they put into to every Cheltenham Underground show, including the now legendary (yep, that's right, I said it) 100th show. But I would be immensely proud, if I were them after last Thursday night, for creating the perfect testament and celebration for their milestone event. And if you appreciate what I have said in this review, or you were at the show, or you know the feeling of being at 'that gig' where the sound and the atmosphere came together, you'll know that you don't have to know the promoters or the people in the crowd to know that something is right.  From an individual gig goers perspective, the night was, quite simply, right.

Nicely done sirs, and here's to the next 100 shows!!!

Ben Hawling


No comments:

Post a Comment