Wednesday 28 January 2015

Russ Poole - Face To Face EP


Using the word 'honest' in a discussion on the music and lyrics of a singer/songwriter can be risky.  I mean, it's easy to say a song is a masterpiece, just be applying the word 'honest' to an explanation of the theme of lyrics/tone etc.

But, the word tends to lose its meaning and value when overused.

When writing this review for Gloucestershire based songwriter Russ Poole's EP Face To Face, I tried my hardest not to surrender to the clutches of temptation, and tired my utmost to steer away from adding the word 'honest' onto the ends of my sentences.

No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't.  In fact,  I picked up the rawness and truthful quality of Russ' lyrics and thought-provoking themes, upon first listen.  The 'story' of the EP is of Russ' impending reunion with an old friend/lover, after a significant amount of time.  It also depicts the inner struggle one goes through, leading up to it.

For example, in the third track on the EP, 'Better', Russ describes how he sees himself, as well as how he appears to those around him.  This conflict seems to be built firmly on self deprecation and a jaded image of himself .  This is evident in the track's opening line, as Russ questions the song's subject on whether they believe he has changed, "Were you expecting to see a better version of me, or just more sober".

Later in the same song, Russ expresses that "I won't be the last to care, 'bout not getting anywhere. There's so much more I wanted to say, but it's too late". This is Russ at his most sincere,  accepting the loss of something, or someone, great through idleness and self pity. Reflecting on the past allows him to uncover the truth and is able to see what he truly is, and what he could be.

Russ's use of gentle guitar work, supported by soft piano and drums throughout, really enforces this idea and sets the intense tone of the EP wonderfully.

The second track 'Seven Bottles', acts as the 'picking-yourself-up' part of Russ' journey through self pity. The song illustrates the twisted logic of having lost, and turning to drink for solace. "I know I'll be ok, seven bottles all empty....I'll say that now, and I'll think I mean it".  This more up tempo track is an oddly comfortable presence on the EP, but successfully sums up the faux hope, after being left behind.  This I'm sure we can all admit to having experienced.

Russ also seems to imply that being honest to yourself isn't always enough.  In the opening lyrics to the EP's title track, Russ confirms "All I have is everything to me. All I want is everything to you". This suggests a confidence in one's self, but also an awareness that the song's subject sees this as a limitation.

Built on Russ' deep vocals and a rolling  guitar melody, the song acts a step by step account of one's thoughts leading up to the important reunion and a sincere prediction on how he will act upon finally seeing the object of his affection again.  This works well with 'Better' before it,  and continues the theme of deep self analysis, "She stays the same, and I'm bound to change. I'll loose control,  when I meet you face to face".

In the EP Face To Face, Russ Poole has managed to construct 4 intense, yet gentle songs, which act as a meditation on the pure components of his very being.  Russ remains persistent in letting the listener hear the truth about him throughout. "Look a little closer, and you might see, not everything is perfect.  This was meant to be", as he claims in opening track 'Take Your Time'.

And that, I would say, is pretty damn honest!







No comments:

Post a Comment