Friday 17 December 2010

New Years Resolution = 1

I never really take the whole 'New Year's Resolution' thing all that seriously, simply because instead of focusing on the aspects of my life that I should be changing, I move my room around a bit, and maybe buy a new jacket. However, this year, after taking a good hard look at my life, and deciding that changes need to be made fast, I have already compiled a half decent list. Some that need to be implemented immediately, and others that will only work if the one before it is done correctly. Maybe, I'm doing this wrong. Whatever!
For many many yeas, I have wanted to write music. I have tried on various occasions, and have failed simply because I tend to lack the relevant motivation needed to actually compose. After joining the Stressechoes (http://bit.ly/gveyVW ) back in April, an element of motivation and inspiration has driven me to want to try again. Having neglected the piano, and forgotten it in the corner of the room for years, I plan to re-visit it's charm and attempt to re-learn exactly how to play, in order to finally begin writing.
Therefore, one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2011 is to play the piano more, and hopefully write some songs.
But knowing me, this motivation will dwindle and fade quick.
So, in order to combat this laziness I have put together a definitive Spotify playlist containing most of the tracks that have ever stood out for me, where the piano is a hugely significant element to the song as a whole, or where the use of the piano has fascinated and inspired me. For example, tracks like Ben Folds' immense talent on 'Philosophy', the quaint and beautiful 'She Opens Her Eyes' by Keane, and Thom Yorke's shimmering piano on Radiohead's live version of 'Like Spinning Plates' have always influenced me to want to write and perform music.
So, below is the playlist. I hope you enjoy, and are equally inspired as I have been over the years. I also hope that this inspires anyone reading to face the new year head on, and to find a way to motivate towards a new way of living.

 http://open.spotify.com/user/ben.hawling/playlist/2lURuAQFalKXVlAXyrwySY

Now it's time for me to stop yakking about it and actually pick up the fucking piano and do something with my life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment