Tuesday 4 January 2011

Future Sounds

Hi, long time no speaky!

Anyway, recently I picked up a copy of Mixmag for the first time in about a year, only to fall in love with the legendary dance magazine all over again. Having once been a monthly subscriber, and then stupidly neglecting all things dance and electronica over 2010, I finally decided to put my finger back on the pulse, and explore exactly what is fresh and new, and more importantly, to rekindle the flame.
The following playlist contains a selection of tracks featured throughout the last 3 editions of Mixmag (November 2010, December 2010 and January 2011), as well as key recommendations from the writers.

 Future Sounds

 The playlist's opener 'Out Of Reason' by Sei A stands out for me as I fell in love with it's rhythmic murkiness the first time I heard it. The track just holds an intoxicating charm that I haven't as yet been able to pull away from. Tracks like 'White Pidgeon' by Detroit Grand Pubahs, 'You Put A Smell On Me' by Matthew Dear, Edu Imbernon's remix of The XX's 'Crystalised', and '25' by Oskar Linnros all have the same effect on me, and will probably continue to do so. I've been listening to alot of Fenech Soler recently, and whilst loving their debut album, decided to feature 'Battlefields' here due to it's strength and potential. Two tracks that make me smile and lift me higher, though in different ways, are 'Whereever We Are' by Human Life and 'First In Line' by James Yuill, both most definitely to be future festival highlights. I'm particularly fond of Gatekeeper's 'Storm Column' simply because it is awkward and harsh, but somehow works. Also, it carries the element of almost sounding ridiculous, pretentious and shit, but really isn't. Probably the most commercial track on the playlist, 'Hypnotise U' by N.E.R.D., has been included because I love both N.E.R.D. and the tracks co-producers, Daft Punk. One track that will most definitely be huge this year has to be the infectiously anthemic 'This Moment' by French Horn Rebellion, plus, I love it's Passion Pitesque quality. And finally, the playlist closer, 'The Calling' by Black Van is featured to hopefully ease the listener into the resulting year through its dreamy piano lilt. The rest of the playlist merely exists as a signal as to how electronic music will be shaped in 2011.......maybe.
I believe that within the next 12 months, fragments of these tracks, or at least the sound they represent will become ever more prominent in our ears, to the point where we will probably all be sick of them, but never mind.

Anyway, enjoy, and catch you in the future.........er, sounds..........nuff said!
Ben Hawling

No comments:

Post a Comment