Tuesday 1 December 2020

PHOTO ALBUMS: Fenech-Soler - Rituals


November 2013.
We are all just stood there, instruments in hand, facing each other.  The buildings around us cold and empty, going nowhere.  This stark contrast to the tight intricacy of the tramlines at our feet, causes a stir within us, as we anticipate what we are supposed to do - why we are here.  The four of us have our respective instruments, and we know how to play, but, at this moment, cannot muster the confidence to actually play, nor play together in concert.  But, we know that we must.  Suddenly, only I am in this scene.  Alone, sat behind my drum kit, I am now the focus.  It must be me who starts the song and who begins this process.  I forcibly activate some strain of confidence. I raise my sticks, ready to strike the opening beat.  Cut to black.  I am suddenly awake.

On a Saturday evening in mid-November 2013, I stuffed piles of dirty clothes into a small rucksack.  The washing machine in our apartment had ceased in its functions the previous Wednesday and our fears mounted as news of a visit from an electrician was not forthcoming.  Alas, in the meantime, I resorted to making the journey, traversing my way across town, to the laundrette.  
I had loaded the recently released album Rituals, by Fenech-Soler, onto my mp3 player, to accompany me on my trek, such was the distance to what was 'the nearest' laundrette.  I remember walking across Montpellier Gardens, located just south-west of Cheltenham town centre, in the evening twilight, observing the white gusts of my breath in front of me, while feeling warm inside.  I had packed a book and had acclimatised to the prospect of spending the following hours, alone, in the presence of the tumbling of clothes - the mechanical, unconscious cleansing of human filth.  I recall that particular evening to have been dark, but clear.  Balmy.  I remember feeling sufficiently warm and 'settled', as I made my way north-westerly, guided by the lights of the town.
Rituals sizzled in the space between my ears, behind my eyes. 'Magnetic', the bouncing, pounding pop-house track, danced in my mind, as I gazed across the Gardens to the various eateries and bars, teaming with Saturday-nighters; The lyrics “There's a world outside that we've never seen/ Can you feel it too?” taunting me.  The track 'In Our Blood' echoed this sentiment, with its anthem “It's in our blood/ It's in our blood/ It's in our blood/ In our blood tonight”, soaring over a punchy beat and a twinkling, rhythmic synth melody.
There was definitely an energy in the air, with the population heading to bars, restaurants, and clubs, for their Saturday evenings, blissfully unaware of other people's journeys and fates, nor the journeys and fates of their own lives, after this night.  And why would they even have considered this?  The fears and uncertainty of tomorrow was just that – tomorrow's problem.  The air was thick with vibrancy and assuredness.
Nowhere on the album was this feeling better portrayed that night than in the tracks 'Ritual 1' and it's successor 'Last Forever'.  I've always held a strong fondness for this couplet, with 'Ritual 1' acting as an introduction to 'Last Forever', as I really admire how effortlessly and wonderfully the tracks bleed into each other.   So majestic is their relationship, that it gives a transitory feel to the mid-point in the album.  I remember being suitably lifted from my quandaries at this point in my journey.  But, more specifically, the lyrics of the track 'Last Forever', seemed to speak of a larger concept – that now was the time to celebrate life and not to be concerned with tomorrow; “Now that we're here/ we feel so alive/ We could make it last forever/ We could waste time together”.  I could almost hear this message being sung from the masses in the bars and restaurants, as I passed.  Because, that was just it – that was the time to be alive, to play innocently in the follies of a Saturday night, away from fear.
So, why wasn't I out frolicking with the others, embracing the wonders of the night, instead of transporting dirty clothes, hermit-like, to the dreary laundrette?  Could I not feel it too?
Well, apart from my affliction with shyness, preventing me from being actively social, it's highly likely that I favoured the menial task of laundry, as I deemed it more necessary to maintaining my immediate comfort, at that particular point in time.  I would like to say that my attitudes have changed over the years, but, alas no, as the smaller things in life still beset my daily existence and prevent me from accomplishing my dreams.  This, of course, frustrates me no end.  It's as if I'm constantly in conflict with my desires and earthly requirements.  I grow angry and weary of the emotional strain this takes on me, as I constantly regret missed opportunities, especially when I have felt so fired up in the first instance.  I feel like I'm always on the brink of starting something, something great, but then yield.
I am reminded of a previous dream.
I forcibly activate some strain of confidence. I raise my sticks, ready to strike the opening beat.  Cut to black.  I am suddenly awake.
The dream itself was a vague representation of when I had once been a drummer in a band.  But it now, clearly, takes the form of another perception; I am so constantly consumed by the anticipation to 'start', that I never actually start at all.  I never actually 'hit the beat'. 
It's fascinating, listening to Rituals now in 2020, seven years after it's release, and really feeling the innocence streaming from it.  It's soo representative of another time, a distant time compared to this current time of restriction and uncertainty.  The feeling of lost innocence and liberty has become somewhat heightened, as a result.  I look back over my shoulder and see the heavy shackles of shyness and regret dragging far behind me, shackles that have bound me for a long, long time.  Since long before that night in 2013 have these binds held me captive, which, in turn, has led to long stints of sadness and despair.  If only I could have been more confident, made changes, or, made the 'right' decisions earlier, then, perhaps, I'd feel less alone today.  Perhaps, if I'd ditched the laundry and gone to the bars, to be among the people that night, I'd be happy.  Perhaps there will soon be a day where I can, once again, say with confidence “now that I'm here, I feel so alive!”.
Perhaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment